Jo Milne is an artist and researcher, who graduated with an MA in Fine Art from Edinburgh College of Art and Edinburgh University and was awarded an MA in Printmaking from The London Institute (Camberwell College of Art). She was awarded a PhD in Fine Art in 2016 from the University of Barcelona for her thesis Invisible structures that considered methodologies used by scientists, artists and visionaries to visualize the invisible. This research involved collaborations with programmers and scientists at CitiLab (Cornella), the VHIR, Barcelona and the Chemistry Department of the University of Barcelona.
A lecturer at EINA for many years, she has taught course modules in Colour, Printmaking, Graphic Creation and Projects and is currently in charge of International Relations. She has also been a lecturer at Winchester School of Art (Barcelona), Trinity College (Hartford/Barcelona), Metafora (Barcelona), Europaïsche Kunstakademie (Trier), University of Creative Arts (Canterbury), and Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art (University of Dundee) and was director of the MA in European Fine Art at Winchester School of Art. She has undertaken residencies at the Irish Museum of Modern Art (Dublin), the Museu d’Art de Sabadell (Sabadell) and PATH (London) and did a teaching exchange at Massachusetts School of Art (Boston).
- Invisible Structures: looking at methodologies used to visualise the invisible, her research considers possible models to interpret genomic structures and cosmological paradigms.
- The Artist’s Book and Expanded Print. This line of research focusses on the role of artist’s books as catalysts and tools for dialogue, questioning the format of the book structure and the role of serial imagery within print.
Recent solo exhibitions
- Maneres de fer mons, Itiner’ART, Fundació Vila Casas, Centre Cultural la Mercè, Girona, 2018.
- Una tropa de sensacions errants, Jo Milne, La Sala, Vilanvoa i la Geltrú, 2018.
- Al cau del conill, Jo Milne, Can Manyé, 2018.
- Jo Milne, No faig prediccions sinó excuses, Espai Volart, Fundació Vila Casas, 2016 (Catalogue: ISBN: 9788460897170)
Recent group exhibitions
- Alight, Visual Arts Scotland, Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh, 2019.
- PAGES New Voices, a gathering of artists’ books tour, Roar (Rotherham), Doncaster Art Gallery (Doncaster), The Cooper Gallery (Barnsley), 2019 (Curated by John McDowall and Chris Taylor)
- State of Print, Impact 9, (Santander) Espai Barra de Ferro (Barcelona), (Norwich)(Dundee) (Cork), 2018-19.
- Unbound, David Faithfull, Jo Milne, Paula Rousch, Print City, Herbert Read Gallery, October 20 – November 9, 2017, (curated by Rob McDonald).
- Drawn Away Together, Talbot Rice Art Gallery, Edinburgh, 2013 (Curated by James Clegg)
Prizes / Awards
- 2009, VI Premios de Artes Visuales, Fundación Arena.
- 2000, Premi de Pintura de Gasar Camps, Igualada.
- 2000, Research grant, University of Southampton.
- 1989, Elizabeth Greenshields Award, Elizabeth Greenshields Award, Canada.
- Álvarez, Santiago. De dones, homes i molècules. Barcelona, University of Barcelona, 2017. “Conjugant constel·lacions”, p. 7-12. ISBN: 978-84-475-3982-6.
- Milne, Jo. “inVISIBLE, how to visualize the invisible with no step by step instructions”, NoSIC-8: Not Strictly Inorganic Chemistry, Prullans de Cerdanya, 2018.
- Milne, Jo. “Unravelling the process”, All Inked Up, University of the Creative Arts, Canterbury, 2017.
- Milne, Jo. “Split Infinites”, Open Folio, Impact 8, Borders & Crossings: the artist as explorer, Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art, University of Dundee, 2016
- Milne, Jo & Puig, Eloi, “MetaMethods: Art and Research”, Shared methodologies, La Virreina, 2015